Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Can Dogs See Ghosts?

I called my mom tonight and when she picked up the phone I could hear Jazz barking in the background. (I was thinking oh, no the Sheltie has found his voice!) I asked her what he was barking about and she said with a sigh, "I have no idea. Last night it was the coat stand in the laundry room."
Of course I had to ask her to explain. So she said that last night Jazz caught sight of something hanging in the laundry room and started growling and barking at it. My mom looked to see what was so disturbing to him and she couldn't see anything. She thought the only thing that he could possibly be barking at was the coat stand, that has been standing in the same position since the day he was brought home. When my mom picked him up to bring him closer to show him that there was nothing to be afraid of apparently he was not impressed.
So it made me wonder...what if he was barking at a ghost. A couple of people (including me) are convinced my mom's house is slightly haunted. I don't believe the spirits are malicious, just someone who may be lost or trapped in between worlds. (That is if you believe in such things) Strange and unexplainable things happen in her house... lights flicker, things fall off shelves, doors close and open on their own. So maybe Jazz is not as neurotic as he may seem. Maybe he is actually seeing something we are not?
Has anyone else experienced their dog barking at the paranormal?

3 comments:

  1. I don't think Bailey can see ghosts...she doesn't necessarily bark randomly. She does however bark and growl at small old ladies, african american men, hispanic men, women with umbrellas, women and/or men with hooded sweatshirts or jackets (hood on their heads), small asian women and every once and a while unattractive men.

    Ghost whisperer Bailey is not- racist and ageist perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if dogs can see ghosts, but some dogs are super smart.

    ReplyDelete